Enough Bull: How to Retire Well Without the Stock Market, Mutual Funds or Even an Investment Advisor - Webinar
The stock market crash of 2008 has proven one thing: traditional retirement planning advice is way too risky. Trusting the stock market is like gambling with your family’s future. But how does one plan for retirement without the possibility of losing up to 50 per cent of your investment value within a matter of months?
The simple truth is that it is possible to retire financially well using guaranteed, safe fixed-income products like GICs that can never decline in value combined with government defined benefit pension plans including CPP and OAS. This course will detail the non-traditional view to money management that many investment advisors don’t want to talk about.
19 Nov 2019, 4:00 PM
2 CPD hours
5 (1)Register Now
- Stock market versus GIC returns. We’ll look at historical Canadian S&P TSX Composite Total Return Index returns over the last 50 years, as well as the US S&P 500 TR Index returns for the last 30 years versus plain old safe GICs. Find out who wins and by how much. You’ll also get a calculator to compare money-weighted rates of returns for the TSX Composite Index versus GICs going back up to 60 years.
- The laddered GIC Strategy. Explore how to use a strategy of rolling over shorter term GICs to five-year GICs to maximize your retirement savings with zero risk since it’s all covered by CDIC insurance. Learn how to finds the best current GIC rates.
- Future investment returns: We’ll delve into what the experts think you’ll likely make in the future with equities as well as fixed income and GICs.
- Can anything beat an RRSP? We’ll compare equity investing inside RRSPs vs outside in a regular investment account, TFSAs, rental properties, investing in your own business, paying off debt and retaining earnings in a corporation.
- The “Tax Turbo-Charged RRSP” strategy. We’ll work through a spreadsheet to compare the traditional advice to invest in RRSPs early, to waiting until later in life, when all debt is gone. It may be possible to beat the old way by starting late and using 100% safe GICs and all that unused RRSP room that has built up over the years.
- Your retirement checkup. You’ll get another free calculator, the “Money Maximizer” to see if you are saving enough for retirement.
Who will benefit:
Those interested in retiring well without taking excessive risks.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events. Should you have any ideas for topics, speakers, sponsorship or anything else, feel free to contact Melanie Russell, CPA, CA, CBV, CIM, CFE, CFF, ABV at 416-488-9590 x 225.
About the Instructor(s)
David Trahair, CPA, CA, is a personal finance writer, trainer, speaker and eLearning developer. His books include Smoke and Mirrors: Financial Myths That Will Ruin Your Retirement Dreams, Enough Bull: How to Retire Well Without the Stock Market, Mutual Funds or Even an Investment Advisor, Crushing Debt: Why Canadians Should Drop Everything and Pay Off Debt, Cash Cows, Pigs and Jackpots: The Simplest Personal Finance Strategy Ever and his latest The Procrastinator’s Guide to Retirement: How You Can Retire in 10 Years or Less. His views are totally independent because he does not sell any financial products. He currently operates his own personal finance training and eLearning development firm and offers seminars on his books to organizations including CPA provincial bodies across Canada. His website is www.trahair.com.