Tax Issues in Family Law Matters
This seminar will focus on the various tax issues that arise as a result of a divorce or separation.
At a high level the topics will include:
- Tax treatments of support payments
- Deductibility of various expenses related to a breakdown of a marriage or common law partnership such as:
- Legal fees
- Child care expenses etc.
- Spousal attribution rules
- Tax considerations on the division of assets on a marital breakdown
- Estate freezes and family law
- Principal residence exemptions
- Division of registered plan assets
- Non-refundable tax credit claims
- Various important CRA views in relation to the breakdown of a marriage.
13 May 2021, 11:00 AM
3.5 CPD hours
About the Instructor(s)
CPA CA, CGA, CPA (Texas)
Alex has close to 20 years of experience working in the accounting departments of large companies and as a public practitioner. Over the years, Alex helped many private clients with their tax structuring and estate planning needs. Alex also assists in Canadian and US tax compliance and various other tax related matters.
Alex is heavily involved in the tax community and is a member of the Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) where he has published articles for the CTF and presented at various events for the CTF.
In addition, Alex has also presented at events for CPA Ontario, accounting groups and other industry specific events. He also facilitates the CPA Canada In-depth tax course.