Recent Finance Announcements: Update, Impact and Where We Are Headed: Round #3, and Hot Buttons for Practitioners
The following topics will be covered during this webinar:
1. CPA Canada's Response to the Recent Finance Announcements
Speaker: Bruce Ball, FCPA, FCA, CFP of CPA Canada
2. Tax Update - What's the Latest?
Speakers: Dave Thompson, CPA, CA of MNP LLP & Rosario Suppa, CPA, CA of MNP LLP
3. Planning for Private Businesses - What's Left After the Recent Finance Announcements?
Speaker: Nathan Wright, LL.B., MTax, TEP of Spectrum Law Professional Corporation
4. From the Trenches: A Sole Practitioner's Viewpoint
Speaker: Kevin Porter, CPA, CA
6 Nov 2017, 5:30 PM
2 CPD hours
4 (6)Register Now
The cost of the webinar is $59 (+tax), which you can pay by any credit card. You will earn two hours of PD credits when you register. We are pleased to offer an easy, inexpensive and enjoyable way to meet your PD requirements.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events. Should you have any ideas for topics, speakers, or anything else, feel free to contact Melanie Russell, CPA, CA, CBV, CIM, CFE, CFF, ABV at 416-488-9590 x 225.
About the Instructor(s)
Vice President, Taxation
Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
Acting on the interest of the public, CPA Canada’s Tax group influences the development of an equitable, effective and efficient tax system in Canada, as well as delivers practical information and fresh perspectives on tax to members and the broader tax community. As such, Bruce leads a team of tax professionals who aim to improve the efficiency, effectiveness and recognition of CPA Canada’s work in the tax sector. Bruce also aims to increase CPA Canada’s reputation as the preeminent provider of core tax education in Canada.
Bruce was formerly National Tax Partner for BDO Canada LLP, and the head of the firm’s National Tax Department. As National Tax Partner, Bruce oversaw the firm’s tax practice, providing support and leadership to the tax practice across the country.
Professional Designations & Education:
- Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Financial Planner and Estate and Trust Practitioner
- Fellow of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation’s Board of Governors
- Past Chair (CPA) of the Joint Committee on Taxation of the Canadian Bar Association and Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
- Former member, Canada Revenue Agency’s Action Task Force on Small Business Issues, CPA Canada Tax Education Task Force and CPA Canada Tax Courses Committee
- Former lecturer and Course Coordinator, CPA Canada's Advanced Tax Issues for the Owner‐Manager Business course
- 2011 Recipient of the CPA Canada Award of Excellence for Tax Practice and Education
Sole Proprietor – 1993 to present
- Run and manage my own full-time practice as a Chartered Professional Accountant. Primary focus of my practice is on companies that are privately held and owner/managed with sales ranging up to $50M annually.
- Provide full range of assurance and non-assurance services.
- Provide full range of both corporate and personal income tax preparation and planning services.
Instructor and Technical Case Reviewer – 1988 to 2014
- Instructor and technical case reviewer for the School of Accountancy for 26 years from 1988 to 2014 when the SOA ended.
- Instructor for a variety of professional development courses (assurance and non-assurance) for many years for CPA Ontario.
Rosario Suppa, CPA, CA, is a Tax Partner in MNP’s Toronto-West office. Rosario provides a wide variety of tax planning and compliance services to both private and public companies.
With over 20 years of tax experience, Rosario has proven expertise advising corporations and their shareholders on tax minimization strategies, including estate and will planning, employee compensation, corporate reorganizations, and research and development tax credits. His public company experience includes working with entities in the mining and exploration industry with operations in Canada and internationally.
Rosario also advises international clients from both a planning and compliance perspective on cross-border taxation matters and the critical income and sales tax issues relevant to Canadian subsidiaries and branches of international enterprises. He has extensive experience advising U.S.-based clients who are starting or acquiring a Canadian business on implementing tax-effective Canadian business structures, and he is well versed in the provisions of the Canada-U.S. Income Tax Treaty.
Rosario graduated from the University of Toronto with a Bachelor of Commerce degree. In 1991 he completed the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants’ (CICA’s) In-Depth Tax Course. He is a member of CICA, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario, and the Canadian Tax Foundation.
David Thompson, CPA, CA, is a Partner with MNP’s Taxation Services group in Mississauga. For more than 30 years David has provided a broad range of taxation services to owner-managed private companies, including tax, will, estate and succession planning, corporate reorganizations and planning and structuring for purchase and sales. He is experienced working with clients in the manufacturing, automobile, real estate and construction industries. He also works regularly with professionals, including those in the medical, dental and legal fields.
David fosters strong relationships with his clients, working closely with them to identify their needs and business opportunities. He creates innovative solutions to meet their planning goals and provides services to minimize income taxes on current income and during transition, succession and exit planning. David quickly identifies needs and concerns and swiftly resolves issues to help his clients meet their tax and estate planning objectives. He is a frequent speaker at numerous tax conferences and seminars and was a seminar leader at the ICAO School of Accountancy for seven years.
David obtained his Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA) designation in 1983 after graduating with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree (Honours / HBA) from Richard Ivey School of Business. He completed the CICA / CPA Canada In-Depth Tax Course in 1986. He has been of member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP Canada) since 2000 and obtained a STEP Advanced Certificate in Family Business Advising in 2012.
David is active in the community, sitting on committees for Canada Basketball and Touch Football Ontario and coaching youth sporting teams in soccer, basketball and flag football.
Nathan has been a member of the Ontario Bar since 2006 and receives his Master of Tax in 2009. Since 2006, he has practiced tax in Toronto and is the Founding Principal of Spectrum Law Professional Corporation, a boutique law firm exclusively focused on tax and estate planning for privately held businesses and other high income earners. Nathan advises on a full spectrum of tax and related issues, with specialized knowledge in transactions related to family succession planning, corporate reorganizations, Wills and estates, estate administration, family trusts, life insurance and tax dispute resolution. Nathan regularly meets with business owners, accountants, financial planners and other lawyers to discuss planning opportunities that may be available to them or their clients.