A Lawyer's F.A.Q; and What happens when contract drafting conflicts with accounting principles?
There will be two topics covered during this event and in addition to hearing great speakers and topics, you will earn 3.0 PD hours. Please click the above link to see the topics and speakers for the evening.
9 Apr 2019, 5:30 PM
3 CPD hours
The following topics will be covered during this event:
1. A Lawyer’s F.A.Q. – Answers to Questions I Commonly Hear As a Legal Advisor to Accounting Firms
James Lane will discuss some of the most frequently occurring legal and practice management questions that are put to him by partners and managers of CPA firms, including:
- The owners of my family-owned SME client are getting divorced and I am faced with conflicting demands for confidential information and other assistance. What are my responsibilities – and to whom?
- How tough should I get trying to collect from a delinquent client? Should I sue? Can I withhold the client file?
- My former firm is accusing me of stealing clients / My former employee is poaching my clients. Whose clients are they and what are the limits on fair competition to attract business?
- I think I might get sued. Do I have to tell my insurer? Do I want to?
- I have a bad feeling about this client. Should I resign? If I do, what are my continuing obligations?
2. What happens when contract drafting conflicts with accounting principles?
Speaker: Ian Palm, LL.B. of Gowling WLG (Canada) LLP
This event will be held at the Donalda Club. The structure of the event is as follows:
- Reception (cash bar) – 5:30 p.m.
- Dinner – 6:00 p.m.
- Presentation(s) – 7:00 p.m. until 8:30/9:00 p.m., depending upon the speakers, topics and audience questions.
The cost of the seminar and dinner is $85 (+tax), which you can pay by any credit card. You will earn 3.0 hours of PD credits when you attend a session. We are pleased to offer an easy, inexpensive and enjoyable way to meet your PD requirements.
If you can't make the event, your registration fee entitles you to unlimited access to the event webinar that will be posted shortly after the event and, of course, the PD certificate from listening to the webinar. If you prefer a refund, please ensure that you give us at least 48 hours notice.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events. Should you have any ideas for topics, speakers, or anything else, feel free to contact Melanie Russell, CPA, CA, CBV, CIM, CFE, CFF, ABV at 416-488-9590 x 225.
About the Instructor(s)
James Lane is a founding partner of Bersenas Jacobsen Chouest Thompson Blackburn LLP, a boutique litigation firm in Toronto. His practice includes advising and representing CPAs at firms of all sizes in defending liability claims and discipline hearings, responding to professional standards and conduct investigations, and providing practice and professional conduct advisory services to CPA firms. Visit www.lexcanada.com or email James at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ian Palm is a partner in the Toronto office of Gowling WLG. His practice focuses on corporate finance, M&A and private equity.
Ian has extensive experience working with Canadian and international clients in a variety of industries, with particular expertise in the energy, technology and infrastructure sectors. He represents private and public companies, major corporate clients, pension funds, and private equity and venture capital investors.
Acting for issuers, investors and underwriters, Ian has advised clients in a range of corporate finance and M&A transactions, including private placements, public offerings, private equity and venture capital transactions, joint ventures and public and private M&A.
Lexpert magazine previously named Ian one of the "Top 40 Lawyers Under 40" in Canada. He has since been recognized as a leading practitioner in his field by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, theLexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada and the Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Private Equity Lawyers.
Ian frequently lectures at law schools, conferences and elsewhere on private equity, M&A and securities law.